Medical Microbiology and Parasitology
FUNCTIONS AND SERVICES
1. General Microbiological analysis of clinical specimens, both routinely and on an emergency basis.
2. Molecular diagnosis of Hepatitis B virus including Hepatitis B viral load.
3. Participation in the national TB/Leprosy Control Programme of the FMOH as a zonal (Northwest) Reference Laboratory and carrying out both Culture and Molecular-based diagnosis of TB including drug resistance detection.
4. Participation in IHVN/PEPFAR HIV/AIDS Control Programme as a support Laboratory providing services like HIV Viral load determination etc.
5. Participation in Hospital Infection Control Programme
6. Training of BUK Medical Students in Clinical Microbiology and Parasitology at their 200, 300 and 400 level.
7. Training of BUK BMLS students at their 500 Level.
8. Supervision of students from various higher institutions in Nigeria in their Industrial Work Experience.
9. Training of Intern Medical Laboratory Scientists.
10. Training of Resident doctors including those in core Clinical Microbiology programme and those on posting from other specialities.
CHINAGOZI P. EDWIN
Head of Department